ICACC member, Bass Coast Shire, has announced these community events to celebrate NAIDOC Week 2016.
- Bass Coast / South Gippsland Reconciliation Group in conjunction with exhibiting artists is holding an Indigenous art exhibition. Official opening on Friday 1 July (RSVPs essential) and exhibition runs until 28 July. See previous post for details: NAIDOC Art Exhibition Inverloch
- Outa Metro Indigenous football / netball round and Long Walk, Sunday 3 July. Keep up-to-date on the Indigenous match Wonthaggi Power vs Leongatha Parrots on Outa Metro Facebook page or see the flyer for details: Leongatha Parrots vs Wonthaggi Power 2016
- Ramahyuck flag raising ceremony and family day, Tuesday 5 July. More info in the flyer: Ramahyuck Wonthaggi NAIDOC Flyer 2016
- Phillip Island Library NAIDOC Week story time, Tuesday 5 July, starts
- Inverloch Library NAIDOC Week story time, Wednesday 6 July, starts 10:30 AM.
- Wonthaggi Library NAIDOC Week story time, Thursday 7 July, starts 11:00 AM.
- Phillip Island & District Historical Society open day with items from the museum’s registered Boonwurrung / Bunurong collection on
display, Friday 8 July.
More details on all these events including contacts: Bass Coast NAIDOC Week 2016
Make a valuable community contribution
& develop your crafting skills.
Would you like to make items for charity donations? Are you interested in doing crafts such as a quilt story, jewellery making, card making, knitting trauma Teddies, hats, scarves and blankets for those in need? Then come along to the women’s craft and yarning group.
When: every Wednesday, from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Where: Casey Aboriginal Gathering Place, 20 Agonis Street, Doveton, Vic 3177
- Aboriginal women and kin are welcome
- Bring your children with you
- As you’ll be making a valuable contribution to the community sector, participation in this group can contribute towards community work
As women you can collectively agree on the charities you’ll support, whilst meeting other women and building on your personal strengths.
For more info and contacts to make a booking: Women’s Craft and Yarning Group Flyer
Cranbourne Gardens Annual
Koolin-ik ba kirrip-buluk (Family & Friends Event)
Join the celebrations at the annual Koolin-ik ba kirrip-buluk (family and friends event) at Cranbourne Gardens for NAIDOC Week 2016.
Activities include a traditional Welcome to Country ceremony, free BBQ, didgeridoo playing, Indigenous story-telling and much more.
When: Wednesday 6 July
10am to 2pm
Where: Ian Potter Lakeside Precinct, Cranbourne Gardens
Cnr Ballarto Road & Botanic Drive, Cranbourne, (off South Gippsland Highway)
This is a free event. For directions to Cranbourne Gardens as well as contacts for more info: Royal Botanic Gardens, Cranbourne website
ICACC member, City of Kingston, is celebrating NAIDOC for the seventh year running with a month-long program of arts and cultural activities.
The program opens on Sunday 3 July from 2:00 to 4:00 PM with Welcome to Country and smoking ceremonies being performed at Kingston Arts Centre, Moorabbin.
The program will then run throughout July, in a celebration of the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Events include:
- Exhibition and Artist Floor Talk – Songlines Her: stories by Paola Balla. The exhibition is open from Sunday 3 July to Tuesday 2 August. The artist floor talk is on Saturday 16 July at 2:00 PM.
- Clocktower Projections by Josh Muir, screening nightly from Sunday 3 July to Tuesday 2 August, between 6:00 and 9:00 PM.
- Baluk Arts Workshop for Kids, Saturday 9 July at 2:00 PM.
- The Sapphires Film Screening, Saturday 23 July at 2:00 PM.
- Baluk Arts Workshop for Adults, Saturday 30 July at 2:00 PM.
For costs, bookings and more info on these NAIDOC Week 2016 events in City of Kingston, visit Kingston Arts website
or click: Kingston Arts Media Release NAIDOC 2016
To celebrate NAIDOC Week 2016 the Bass Coast – South Gippsland Reconciliation Group is holding an Indigenous art exhibition in Inverloch.
The official opening of the exhibition is on Friday 1 July, 2016 from 5:00 – 7:00 PM, while the exhibition itself runs until Thursday 28 July 2016.
To attend the official opening, RSVPs are essential to: email@example.com
See below for more info:
The official opening is sponsored by ICACC member, Bass Coast Shire Council.