The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria is offering a workshop to Koori people in the South East metro region. It will be useful to those who are interested in mediation, who use mediation skills in their work or personal life or are interested in becoming a trained and accredited mediator. The session is open to all of the community.
When: Wednesday 27 July, 2016 from 9:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Where: City of Casey, Aboriginal Gathering Place, 20 Agonis Street, Doveton, VIC 3177
This is a free workshop, but registration is essential to secure your place …. numbers are limited.
See flyer for contacts: Koori mediation training 2016 flyer
To ensure you’re updated on activities such as this in the ICACC region click Follow on the bottom right of any ICACC web page. Provide your email address, click Sign Me Up and you’ll get an email alert when we post news on the ICACC site.
ICACC member, Bass Coast Shire, has announced these community events to celebrate NAIDOC Week 2016.
- Bass Coast / South Gippsland Reconciliation Group in conjunction with exhibiting artists is holding an Indigenous art exhibition. Official opening on Friday 1 July (RSVPs essential) and exhibition runs until 28 July. See previous post for details: NAIDOC Art Exhibition Inverloch
- Outa Metro Indigenous football / netball round and Long Walk, Sunday 3 July. Keep up-to-date on the Indigenous match Wonthaggi Power vs Leongatha Parrots on Outa Metro Facebook page or see the flyer for details: Leongatha Parrots vs Wonthaggi Power 2016
- Ramahyuck flag raising ceremony and family day, Tuesday 5 July. More info in the flyer: Ramahyuck Wonthaggi NAIDOC Flyer 2016
- Phillip Island Library NAIDOC Week story time, Tuesday 5 July, starts
- Inverloch Library NAIDOC Week story time, Wednesday 6 July, starts 10:30 AM.
- Wonthaggi Library NAIDOC Week story time, Thursday 7 July, starts 11:00 AM.
- Phillip Island & District Historical Society open day with items from the museum’s registered Boonwurrung / Bunurong collection on
display, Friday 8 July.
More details on all these events including contacts: Bass Coast NAIDOC Week 2016
Make a valuable community contribution
& develop your crafting skills.
Would you like to make items for charity donations? Are you interested in doing crafts such as a quilt story, jewellery making, card making, knitting trauma Teddies, hats, scarves and blankets for those in need? Then come along to the women’s craft and yarning group.
When: every Wednesday, from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Where: Casey Aboriginal Gathering Place, 20 Agonis Street, Doveton, Vic 3177
- Aboriginal women and kin are welcome
- Bring your children with you
- As you’ll be making a valuable contribution to the community sector, participation in this group can contribute towards community work
As women you can collectively agree on the charities you’ll support, whilst meeting other women and building on your personal strengths.
For more info and contacts to make a booking: Women’s Craft and Yarning Group Flyer
Each year the Victorian Aboriginal Honour Roll acknowledges and celebrates the wide-ranging achievement of Aboriginal people past and present.
In its first five years, 79 people have been inducted in recognition of their outstanding achievements in social, cultural, economic and community leadership and impact. Their life stories are presented in the Honour Roll book which is on permanent display in the Victorian Parliament.
Nominating will recognise and celebrate Aboriginal community heroes and show support for this important initiative.
Fore more information about previous inductees, as well as the nomination form and contacts for more info, visit the Department of Premier and Cabinet website.
Please note the closing date for nominations is 5:00 PM Friday 1 July, 2016.
Please note the venue has now changed for this group (new location below and in the flyer).
The Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency is running women’s groups with a focus on healthy relationships. The groups are being run in Dandenong every Tuesday.
When: every Tuesday, except school holidays from 5:30 – 7:30 PM
Where: Memorial Hall (signage says Senior Citizens Centre)
10 Langhorne Street, Dandenong VIC 3175
Activities will include:
• Women’s Yarning Circle
• Cultural Well Being
• Group activities
• Craft activities for children
See the flyer for more information, contacts and Melway references: Southern Womens Group Flyer 2